Why am I writing this blog?
So you may be asking who am I and what is my motivation for setting up this blog. My qualifications and experience are on the Bio Profile. I am a qualified food scientist, permaculturist, macrobiotic health coach, mum to 4 lovely girls and assorted animals and chickens. I am a passionate foodie and have vast knowledge in the field of real food and the link between our health and our diet.
You can guess from the name that I am a lover of all things natural, I love nature, I love animals, plants and I love real food. However I don’t like what we are doing to this wonderful planet of ours and I have deep concerns about the kind of world we are leaving for our children.
Climate change is real, we are causing massive damage through our careless throw away, junk food eating society. We are also eating ourselves into an early grave, with chronic disease on an ever downward spiral.
What we don’t seem to realise is that simple lifestyle changes can create huge and positive impact, seriously altering the course our lives are taking.
The most important thing is that a healthier diet for us is also healthier for the environment.
Food is one of the biggest contributors to climate change and exerts the biggest influence on our health, so food and nutrition will be the main focus of my blog.
What most of us fail to realise is that we co-create our own health through our diet and lifestyle choices. Many of us just put ill health down to bad luck or genetics when in actual fact we can turn around almost any health issue through addressing what we put into our bodies, the products we apply to our bodies, the thoughts we have and the lifestyle we lead.
I have enjoyed vibrant good health all my life. I sailed through 4 pregnancies and the menopause with barely a hot flush. I don’t take my good health for granted; I take steps daily to stack the odds in my favour.
What are my values and what is my lifestyle?
* I dislike labels, I find them too restrictive; I am not vegan, vegetarian nor macrobiotic, though the majority of the food I eat is vegan
* I follow macrobiotic principles
* I believe that a plant based, whole foods diet is the way forwards for our health.
* I can honestly say I eat the most delicious food everyday
* I don't count calories and I am never hungry
* I eat real food that makes me feel good.
* I eat regular snacks as well as 3 good meals a day and I've never felt better.
* I eat eggs from my well loved and cared for rescued chickens, the occasional sustainably caught fish, and occasional halloumi and goats cheese because I enjoy it.
* I don't eat meat or dairy, apart from the occasional halloumi..
* I buy the best quality food I can and grow my own in the summer.
* I am not a purist, I enjoy wine, especially prosecco and coffee (which I drink black and buy organic).
* I support local companies
* I care about the environment and animal welfare.
* I read books prodigiously.
* I am always researching and learning.
* I get outside and enjoy nature everyday
* I talk to my chickens.
* I take the dogs for walks,
* I grow stuff, I ferment stuff, I try out new recipes
* I sing and dance ( usually when no one is in! I was given many positive attributes, sadly a good singing voice wasn't one of them!!).
* I am grateful everyday for the life I have created, doing things I love, appreciating the simple things.
So what now?
Taking responsibility for our own health is one of the most important things we can do..
If you don't look after your body where are you going to live?
a favourite saying of my good friend and macrobiotic legend Marlene Watson Tara!
Being healthy does not require loads of time, expense and deprivation! Rather it's simply about eating real food, avoiding junk food, gradually phasing in the good stuff, and being open to trying new things. So many of us are stuck in a bad food rut and just need some help and inspiration to move forwards and that’s where I come in! There is so much mis information in the media regarding food and health and coming from a scientific perspective,with no links to the food or pharmaceutical industry I can offer an un biased and honest view.
I will be sharing lots of simple, delicious plant based recipes and health information and any other natural remedies or words of wisdom !
I would love you to join me.