Now it seems a bit out of season to be posting an immune boosting soup when its supposed to be spring but hey its been really cold in Glasgow and poor Laura has swollen glands and a stinker of a cold. Sometimes the change in temperature, returning from sunny holidays to the cold of Glasgow can take a bit of adjusting to!
Laura also has exams all week so she's a bit stressed too, which doesn't help. So I've been making her apple kuzu drinks ( a macrobiotic drink which is very strengthening and soothing), giving her ginger compresses, to speed the healing process and I specially made a big pot of the most healing soup on the planet, and its also rather delicious.
The best kind of medicine!!
This soup is crammed full of all sorts of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds and vitamins, it will literally stop any infection in its tracks. It’s absolutely brilliant for relieving the symptoms of colds and flu, will put your immune system into super-drive and send all those “nasties” into oblivion; it also tastes great and is really easy to make.
Both shitake mushrooms and goji berries contain a similar polysaccharide which stimulate the immune system by causing an increase in the production of white blood cells.
Garlic is the mother of all natural antivirals; it is also antibacterial and antifungal.
Ginger is a strong anti-inflammatory and also stimulates circulation which increases the rate at which white blood cells move around the body fighting infection and removing waste products from infected tissues.
Chilli has painkilling properties and can thin out mucous making it easier to remove from the body.
Sweet potatoes contain various anti-inflammatory compounds including beta carotene/flavanoids.
Turmeric is an incredible anti-inflammatory agent due to a group of chemicals called curcuminoids - as good as many powerful drugs, including hydrocortisone, but with none of the nasty side effects.
Coconut milk is full of good fats which are antifungal, antibacterial & antiviral.
So you really can't fail to feel better if you fill yourself up with this most soothing, healing, nutritious soup. Your immune system will thank you!
· 1 red onion, chopped
· 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
· 3 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into small dice
· 1 red or green chilli, finely chopped
· 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
· 1 punnet shitake mushrooms or 2-3 dried shitakes soaked in hot water for 30minutes
· 1 handful of goji berries
· 500ml vegetable stock
· 1 can coconut milk
· 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
· 1 level teaspoon turmeric
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to season
1. Add the finely chopped onion, ginger and chilli to a pan with a tablespoon of oil and sauté for a few minutes until the onion softens.
2. Slice the shitake mushrooms. If using dried, discard the stalks which are tough and bitter.
3. Add the mushrooms, diced sweet potato, goji berries, garlic, turmeric, coconut milk and stock.
4. Bring to the boil, and then gently simmer for about 20 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft.
5. Puree with a hand blender, season with sea salt and enjoy!
I'm happy to report that Laura is feeling much better now!
.......your health in your hands.....
🍃 Health educator🍃