These are quite simply the most delicious scones ever! They really melt in your mouth and everyone loves them. My lovely mum and my youngest daughter Laura came up with this recipe one baking afternoon. Jenna my other daughter ( I have 4 lovely girls!) is vegan so we started experimenting with vegan baking and now we actually prefer vegan cakes. So no dairy or eggs in any of our baking and we always minimise or replace refined sugar which is just plain bad on so many levels!
These wee scones have only 1 teaspoon sugar per scone which is 4g but they are deliciously sweet due to the coconut which also has soluble fibre so benefits your digestion. I am known as Crazy Coconut Lady at home, I just love coconut in all its forms and will find any excuse to add it to cakes, smoothies, soups, dips, & curries! In my opinion its just the most delicious flavour and it is so incredibly good for you!
Follow my blog for lots more coconut recipes..... !
Anyway I digress, back to the scones... The most important thing with scones is to cut them quite thick and make sure the oven is hot before you put them in. So often scones end up more like biscuits which is definitely not how they are supposed to be! They are best eaten fresh out of the oven, which isn't really a problem, they are so delicious and light you can eat two or three at one go....!
The scones are delicious served with organic coconut oil, sugar free jam, coconut jam, or good old organic butter. Enjoy...!
8oz/225g self raising flour
2 level teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ oz/40g caster sugar
4 oz /110g soya or sunflower spread
2 oz/55g desiccated coconut
3 or 4 tablespoons soya milk.
1. Heat the oven to 220C/425F/ Gas 7 and lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. The easiest way to make these scones is to add all the dry ingredients to
a food processor and pulse for a few minutes, then add the milk a little at
a time until the mixture comes together,
3. If you don’t have a food processor then put the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Using your fingertips rub the spread into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Vegan spreads are really soft so run your hands under a cold tap before you start and work quickly to keep the mixture from clumping.
4. Stir in the sugar and coconut then add the milk gradually and mix with a
wooden spoon until the mixture comes together.
5. Turn out onto a floured work surface and pat into a round ¾ inch or 2 cm thick.
6. Cut out 10 scones, I use a heart shaped cookie cutter since I reckon
we could all do with more love in our lives!
7. Brush the tops of the scones with milk and liberally sprinkle coconut on
8. Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes until well risen and nicely browned
The scones are delicious served with organic coconut oil, sugar free jam, coconut jam, or good old organic butter.
🍃 Health educator🍃